Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Paralytic Stirs


Fear is a powerful emotion to live your life by.

And while I know how ridiculous it is to let it take hold, I still did. In debilitating ways. I was too scared to chat with the colleagues, to scared to answer the phone, too scared to play with the niece and nephew, too scared to hang out with friends. Too scared of messing up my voice. Too scared to write about it. The days stretched into a routine of wake-up, cry, go to work, come straight home, lock self in bedroom, cry, sleep. Repeat. Rinse.

But now, THANK GOD THANK GOD THANK GOD the gig is over. Literally, not figuratively. Voice intact (MIRACLE!!!), it went down a treat, especially the bit where my dad ran up to the stage in hero-like fashion & downed the pint S. (the sabo king!) dared me to bottoms up half-way through our song.

In celebration of being unshackled, this month, I shall pluck the good from the bad, see the humour in the sad, and...

  • Read Moral Disorder again and again. So good, it bears repeating.

  • Continue to revel in the oral vibrations delivered by my new toothbrush, the magnificent Oral-B Pulsar!

  • Drink water 8X a day out of my trusty Heineken pint glass, whilst fooling self into thinking it's ice cold beer.

  • Indulge in a spot of uni nostalgia and listen to a lot of early '90s brit indie-pop music, like Suede, Oasis, The Stone Roses, James, Lightning Seeds, The Farm and also more recently, The Thrills.

  • Watch old black and white movies on TMC in the wee hours.

  • Lose 10 pounds so my co-star can at least attempt to lift me into a loving embrace at the climax of the scene. As of now, I remain grossly 5kgs heavier than him. Bah.

  • Enjoy my erstwhile secret crush on Brandon Flowers.
  • 0 humps in my highway:

    humps in my highway

    << Home