Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Absolutely


It's a subjective world we live in.

We're so used to doing what feels good to us/ accepting what's good to others/ constructing our own versions of truth, that talking about absolutes doesn't exactly win you conversational brownie points.

I guess I can say one thing for sure. I absolutely believe in God. But I didn't expect to be discussing what I believe so soon after returning home. Over red wine (1 for me, 3 for him) tonight, P. challenged me:

"What makes you think that there is only one true God? How can you say that for sure?"

Uh-oh, out of nowhere, the proverbial can of religiopolitIcal worms sprang open... P. didn't exactly let me interrupt his stream of consciousness - he was on a roll... I guess he was trying to argue that everything in life is relative. Tipsily, I might add. Which always leads to an entertaining exchange.

Amidst bungled attempts at explaining my conviction, P. edged in the last word:

"Aiyah, D, the only absolute in life is vodka, lah!"



His humour remains as disarming as ever. But am I the only one who finds it ironic that the disarmer was getting absolutely legless in the process?

0 humps in my highway:

humps in my highway

<< Home