Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

FalalalalalalalaLAH!

The house & tree've finally been decorated, presents bought wrapped, turducken ordered and the smell of pine, cinnamon and orange peel fills the air...

There's something I really love about the Christmas season. Something I can't quite put a finger on, but it makes grumpy, cynical old me a little lighter on my feet, more thankful about everything and yes, I annoy everyone else with my Christmas cheer and unbearable need to sing and flit and hug (sorry, barf bags sold separately).

I pore over back issues of (shock-horror-gasp!) Martha Stewart and House Beautiful magazines searching for cookie recipes to systematically try and ultimately fail at. Really, there are only so many ways to ruin peanut brittle and jam tarts. But yet, the eternal optimist within that lies dormant most year round springs to life and once again, I find myself dusting off dem recipes, ready to fail all over again. Haha.

Seasonal books have also gotten a dusting, all the better for me to read again. Some of my faves, in no particular order:
  • How The Grinch Stole Christmas! - Dr Seuss
  • The Christmas Mystery - Jostein Gaarder
  • The Chronicles of Narnia - C.S. Lewis
  • 12 Days: Stories Inspired by "The Twelve Days of Christmas" - edited by Shelley Silas


  • Also, finally finished off Polly Evan's Fried Eggs with Chopsticks. Most interesting humourous travelogue about China, which fascinates me, partly because I'm Chinese, but also because I'm so un-Chinese. I feel no affinity with the country or its people and it surprises me. Two years ago, I visited Beijing and Shanghai and realised this gap existed. I'm curious about my roots, my ancestry, my ethnic past, yet being 3rd generation Singaporean cleaves me from "the Motherland". To the Chinese in China, I am a curious creature with a curious way of speaking Mandarin, too western in my ways. But then again, I think I have a very modern Southeast-Asian outlook - a mix of east and west, if you will. OK, OK, this is beginning to sound like a bad essay from my Migrants & Post-Colonials module at Uni, so I'll just ceasefire for now...

    That's the trouble with having too many thoughts, all jumbled up in the brain, only rusty equipment to untangle them with. I reckon I'll just go have a cup of Mariage Freres Esprit de Noel tea, then. Falalalalalalala...

    ----------------------------------------------

    yule be laughing here!

    They take their "trees au naturel" serious over there!


    technorati tags: / /

    0 humps in my highway:

    humps in my highway

    << Home