Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Ono-ma-whaa???



the irony! mr potato head endorsing fries! interesting take on the irony.

I realise normal people don't actually slip a word like onomatopoeia into their everyday conversation. Except one-time lit students maybe. Or pompous geekstresses with overblown poetic inclinations. Which I have been called many a time. Which calls to mind one dear friend who, despite being a philosophy major and powerful example of a brain that works at frightening speed, said to me, "Ono-ma-whaa???"

For the rest of the night he continued to mispronounce onomatopoeia as "Oh no, my potato!"

I like it when friends use humour to remind you to get your head out of your arse. Even if it means I can never look at a french fry the same way again.

*******

When everything seems to be set
to show me off as a man of intelligence,
the fool I keep concealed on my person
takes over my talk and occupies my mouth.

While I am writing, I am far away;
and when I come back, I have already left.
I should like to see if the same thing happens
to other people as it does to me,
to see if as many people are as I am,
and if they seem the same way to themselves.
When this problem has been thoroughly explored,
I am going to school myself so well in things
that, when I try to explain my problems,
I shall speak, not of self, but of geography.
- Pablo Neruda, We Are Many



technorati tags: / /

0 humps in my highway:

humps in my highway

<< Home