Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Learn You Engrish

Siren si·ren (sī'rən)

  • 1. (The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition)
    In classical mythology, evil creatures who lived on a rocky island, singing in beautiful voices in an effort to lure sailors to shipwreck and death. Odysseus ordered his crew to plug their ears to escape the Sirens' fatal song.

  • 2. (The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
    A device in which compressed air or steam is driven against a rotating perforated disk to create a loud, often wailing sound as a signal or warning.

  • 3. (The Conglomeration of People Who Have Nothing Better to do at Wala, First Edition*)

    Unfortunately, my brilliant doctoring of Charles Edward Boutibonne's Sirens is barely visible here, but you get the picture (ooh, punny!).

  • * Otherwise known as "Excuse me, but your VBL** is showing."
    ** Very Bo Liao.



    technorati tags:

    0 humps in my highway:

    humps in my highway

    << Home