Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Monday, October 24, 2005

Infinity and Seven Hundred


Get thee away, old lady, only young 'uns allowed here!

So I've been volunteering at a kindergarten, training 13 little boys for their graduation concert performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. 2 weeks later, my voice seems to have taken on a permanent rasp to it and my vocabulary seems to have shrunk to a few choice words (usually put together in different permutations of "keep quiet", "stop playing" & "look at me when I'm talking to you"). But really, Jacob and Sons have been an endless source of hilarity for me.

Today, in an effort to get friendlier with my bunch of 5 and 6-year-olds, I asked them questions then they got to ask me questions. OF COURSE, they'd ask me, "How old are you, teacher?" And OF COURSE, I walked right into that one. I ASKED them to GUESS.

"One Hundred!"
"Sixty-two!"
"Thirty-six!"
"Infinity and seven hundred... and seventy!"

The chorus of little monsters yelled, all clamouring to answer my stoopid, stoopid question.

Then one little boy said very seriously, shushing his friends, "No lah, she's not so old!" Then turning his big eyes to me, says with great conviction, "You're forty-something, right?"

Boo hoo hoo... How did I age another 10 years in the space of forty-eight hours?


technorati tags: / / /

2 humps in my highway:

At 9:48 am, Blogger JellyGirl said...

Awww..but you can't trust those little monsters! Them kiddies have no concept of age and time!

 
At 5:37 pm, Blogger Deetourguide said...

JG: True, true. Although I'm beginning to think they're more savvy than I thought. They may be doing this to wind me up! It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

 

humps in my highway

<< Home