Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Holy Cow!

this is not it

Having supper at River Valley's Spize, I spied a most unusual dish on the menu. There it was, in bold font:
Bisteak.

Question: is this steak that speaks two languages or steak that swings both ways?

I looked a little further down and found the answer to the second part of the question:
Bisteak Kuah. Haha!

Intrigued, I had to get me some of that.

We were not expecting the mound of toxic-orange slop on a plate that arrived 10 minutes later. On closer inspection, it was a strange mixture of salty, spicy minced mystery meat and a bunch of chopped up veggies, smothered in the usual bright orange sauce that indian-muslim stalls serve. And surprisingly, it was delicious. Kinda like home-cooked comfort food. If only we ordered some rice to go with it.

Of course, in typical geek fashion, I got home and googled it. Nothing. But I did make this mad psychedelic find!

technorati tags: / /

3 humps in my highway:

At 2:38 pm, Anonymous potemkin said...

darling,
bisteak is also known as bistik in Indonesia..
just like sipud is seafood...
exactly what bistik means in bahasa...
well you google geek, enlighten us all

 
At 3:14 pm, Blogger Skrat said...

I'm sorry but it does not look at all appetising!!! EEeewww!!!
Food has got to look good for me to even chow it down!

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger Deetourguide said...

Potemkin> OK, the Google Geek strikes back with this: http://www.websters-dictionary-online.com/be/beefsteak.html
So, if it's supposed to mean beefsteak, I just want to say it wasn't the slab of broiled meat "beefsteak" connotes. The bisteak/ bistik/ bistek I was served was a minced meat stirfry with sauce. So how?

Skrat> Definitely, looks-wise, the bisteak leaves a lot to be desired, but if you're ever at Spize, I dare u to try - quite shiok. Really.

 

humps in my highway

<< Home