Take a Deetour

"I write to find out what I think." - Joan Didion

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Turn! Turn! Turn!

219
Who would've known? That a conversation I was having with a two-year-old would turn out to be so profoundly insightful?

Clutching her grandma's travel hair dryer, Little Miss V. allowed yours truly to hang on to the very tip of its plug-in cord. After which we played a game she came up with all on her own. The details are a little hazy, but I think the game involved us waving the hairdryer up and down from both ends and screaming the word "FOREVER" many many times in many many different ways. LMV found this intensely amusing. I found this, in her dad's wry words, "very fun"! So when I cheekily asked if I could play with the whole hair dryer for a little while, the savvy, precocious toddler said firmly:

"NO! Today is MY turn. Today not your turn."

And she's so right.

In the larger scheme of things, it hasn't been my turn in a looong time. But patience is the word that rings in my head. There is a time and place for everything. We go through seasons of nothing and then seasons of lots. So yes, I am reminded that today may not be my turn, maybe not even tomorrow or the days after, but one day it WILL be MY turn. And soon.

.......

And then maybe I'll go back to play with the little cutie-pie just so I can say those 10 little words back to her. Haha.

.......

The byrdsThinking with my ears.

2 humps in my highway:

At 7:20 pm, Anonymous Lakersfan said...

Don't despair, your turn will come.

In the past, during my darker days of despair, I turn to the comforting words of the Friends theme song... "when it hasn't been your day, or month, or even your year, I'll be there for you..."

 
At 1:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's on tonight
NBC has a new Average Joe at 8pm. Bravo has the new Sean Hayes-produced reality show Situation Comedy at 8. A pair of classic comedies on AMC starting at 8: Office Space and Airplane.

----------
Visit my blog! online education degree

 

humps in my highway

<< Home